The big news from the Forum this month is the completion on work products for consideration in SCA 4.1. Forum members invested well over 1000 hours in the creation of eight document packages:
- SCA 4.1 Scalable Components ( http://groups.winnforum.org/d/do/7534 )
- SCA 4.1 Scalable Manager Components ( http://groups.winnforum.org/d/do/7535 )
- SCA 4.1 Naming Conventions http://groups.winnforum.org/d/do/7536 )
- SCA 4.1 Application Backwards Compatibility http://groups.winnforum.org/d/do/7537 )
- SCA 4.1 AEP Specification ( http://groups.winnforum.org/d/do/7500 )
- SCA 4.1 Application Mixture Backwards Compatibility (http://groups.winnforum.org/d/do/7503 )
- SCA 4.1 Platform Component Late Registration (http://groups.winnforum.org/d/do/7640 )
- SCA 4.1 IDL Profile Specification ( http://groups.winnforum.org/d/do/7618 )
These members are now hard at work preparing for the SCA 4.1 Preview Workshop being held in cooperation with the US DoD’s Joint Tactical Networking Center (JTNC) on 9 and 10 October in Aberdeen, Maryland: http://www.wirelessinnovation.org/sca-4-1-standard-preview-event
Other news form the Forum is as follows:
Earlier this month, the Forum launched a new website. Check it out: http://www.wirelessinnovation.org/
The Forum is pleased to announce that one new member organization has joined:
Telecast Technology Co.: http://www.dvbsystem.com/
Please join me in welcoming this new organization to our association!
Model City Filing
The Forum filed comments on the FCC and NTIA proceeding on a model city for demonstrating and evaluating advanced spectrum sharing technologies (http://groups.winnforum.org/d/do/7616). The members of the Forum supported the concept based on elements taken from the Forum’s Advocacy Agenda. In addition, the Forum proposed that the multi-stakeholder group outlined in the Forum’s 3.55 GHz FNPRM filing (http://groups.winnforum.org/d/do/7518) could host workshops at appropriate times to bring together participants in the model city deployment to share lessons learned with the broader community and define areas for additional exploration. The Forum further proposed to publish the results of these workshops in our Dynamic Spectrum Sharing Annual Report, the inaugural edition of which will be available this fall.
Open SSRF Reference Implementation
Keybridge Global (http://keybridgeglobal.com/ ) contributed an update to their SSRF referenece implementation, providing a verbatim compilation of the Standard Spectrum Resource Format (SSRF) version 3.0 into Java. The specification is defined in MCEB Pub 8 Version 3.0 as of 2012-04-26. This reference implementation is available on the Forum’s website (http://groups.winnforum.org/reference_implementations ). Based on this deleivery, the Open SSRF Working Group has plans to reconvene to determine next steps in advancing the use of SSRF as a preferred standard.
The Technical program Has been announced for WInnComm Europe 2014. Over 50 papers and presentations will be given at this years event, with program highlights that include:
- Daily keynotes by industry leaders including:
- Amm. Di Biase, Italian MoD
- Olliver Holland, Kings College London
- Giampaolo Lillo, European Defense Agency
- Dr. Joe Mitola, Federated Wireless
- Andreas Pascht, Alcatel Lucent/Bell Labs
- Vrjola Seppo, Nokia
- A two-day Tactical Radio Workshop featuring keynotes Rick Barfoot of NATO, Ugo Manetti and Philippe Margot of OCCAR/a4ESSOR, Charles Chedhomme of French MoD, Tobias Nachtsheim of the German MoD, and John McHale, of Military Embedded Systems Magazine.
- Three technical sessions on Waveform Software on SDR/SCA and Context Aware Cognitive Radio.
- Workshops on Spectrum Sharing and Spectrum Management, Software Defined Radio and CloudRAN.
- A tutorial on the much anticipated SCA 4.1 Standard.
Additional details on this conference can be found here: http://www.europe.wirelessinnovation.org/
Other Event News
Fall is a busy time for the Forum’s members and there are a host of other events scheduled:
- India Regional Committee Meeting: Software Defined Radio and the Software Communications Architecture from a European perspective, 24 September 2014, Tata Power Systems Conference Hall, Bangalore India, presented by Dr Boyd Buchin, Principal Studies, Rohde & Schwarz, Germany (http://www.wirelessinnovation.org/india-one-day-seminar )
- Online Training
SDR Radio Waveform Development in the GNU Radio Environment, October 15 to 29, http://www.wirelessinnovation.org/training-series-waveform-development
SDR/SCA Development for Software Engineers, December 2nd to 17th, http://www.wirelessinnovation.org/sdr-sca-development-for-software-engineers
The Forum’s Advocacy Agenda, 26 September 2014, 7:00 a.m. Pacific Time (10:00 a.m. Eastern), presented by Bruce Oberlies, Chair of the Forum.
Top Ten Most Wanted Wireless Innovations List, 26 September 2014, at 8:00 a.m. Pacific Time (11:00 a.m. Eastern), presented by Bob Schutz, CTO of the Forum.
- Annual General Meeting, November 6, 2014 in Rome, Italy (details to follow)
The Strategic Plan for the Coordinating Committee for International SCA Standards is currently in committee ballot. Assuming it passes, I will present some details. I will also give an update on the European Conference, the US Conference and follow up from the SCA 4.1 Preview Workshop.
Until next time…
Lee Pucker, Forum CEO